Important Information – Before you begin.
To be able to access the portal, attempt the examination and submit your answers, please ensure:
- You are using a supported web browser. The following web browsers have been tested and are recommended, which should be updated to their latest official versions and builds:
- The operating system of the device you are using is updated to the latest official version and build.
- You are not connected to a VPN, gateway or firewall that restricts the connections to and from your device. VPNs often change your connection IP addresses randomly, and this can cause you to be logged out from the portal.
- Your internet connection is stable. Tip: Avoid streaming music or videos, or playing games in the background while attempting the examination to have sufficient internet connectivity to the portal.
- Do not close the browser tab or window before you have submitted your answers. If the browser tab or window is closed before an examination is submitted, no answers will be recorded by the portal.
- It is advisable to finish or carry on other work on your device after you have submitted the examination, concurrent browser sessions may interfere with your connection to the portal while an examination is being attempted.
We collect the following information during your examination
To detect cheating attempts, we collect the following critical information by default. By attempting an examination, you allow us to gather the following information. We may not permit you to attempt an examination if you do not allow us to collect this information:
- Your IP Address.
- Your geographical location down to the city or town you are attempting the examination from.
- The name, make and model of the device you are using to attempt the examination (Device ID).
- The name of the Internet Service Provider (ISP), whose network you are connected to while attempting the examination.
- Names and addresses (URLs) of all other browser tabs and windows open on your device while the examination is in progress.
- Mouse activity – the data of the axes the mouse pointer on your device travels (or finger taps if on a mobile device or tablet computer) while the examination is in progress.
Step 1 – Accessing and signing in to the portal
The FTRA Online Induction Portal can be accessed by visiting:
The above link has also been provided to you in the registration email sent to you when your data had been registered with the portal.
The following will display when the link above is opened or clicked:
Once the above screen displays, enter your email address and password in the fields. The registration email you received earlier will contain the password you will use to sign in.
If you have not received the registration email, or know about a colleague who is sitting an examination with you and has not received their registration email, or have lost your password, please contact or ask them to contact your or their institution to obtain the status of registration for the Induction Workshop.
If you are not able to log in with the email address and password that were provided to you in email, you need to reset your password before continuing. Click here to read how to reset your password.
After signing in, the screen you will be greeted by is your Dashboard. The Dashboard has the navigation links (or menu) on the left of the page, as well as the links to view examinations available to you, and the examinations you have attempted.
On the top left of the screen is an arrow, which expands the “Log Out” option if clicked. Clicking on “Log Out” will sign you out of the portal.
You can also access the examinations available to you by clicking on the “Available Exams” option on the menu on the left of the screen.
The “My Results” option displays the results of the examinations you have attempted and submitted when the results are published.
You can also change your password by selecting the “Change Password” option from the menu.
Tip: If you have changed your password and are unable to access the portal, contact FTRA immediately. There could be an error with your password combination.
Attempting an examination
To attempt an examination that is available to you, select the “Available Exams” option from either the Dashboard tile, or the menu item on the left menu of the screen.
The list of examinations available to you are visible when the “Available Exams” option is selected.
To attempt an examination, select the “View Examination” option on the page for the examination you wish to attempt.
FTRA has a standard time limit of 60 minutes for an examination, which is also shown on the examination list.
The examination details of the examination you have selected to attempt will then be shown on the next page, as shown in the image above. Pay particular attention to the instructions, and the note that states you must click the “Submit Exam” button when you are done.
If you select the “Exit Exam” option, you will be redirected to your Dashboard.
Note: You cannot attempt the examination again if you have selected the “Exit Exam” option
To start the examination, select the “Start Exam” option.
A confirmation dialogue will pop up, alerting you that you are now about to attempt the examination.
To continue, select the affirmative option – on this browser, the affirmative option is “OK”.
Once you start the examination, you can answer questions by selecting the relevant answer option either by clicking on an answer option, or by tapping on an answer option if you are using a touch-enabled device.
To ensure you do not run out of time, there is a timer widget at the bottom-right of the page. The “Time Remaining” is an indication of how many much time is left for you to finish and submit the examination.
Tip: If you run out of time, the answers you have selected will automatically be submitted to the portal.
Once you have finished the examination, select the “Submit Exam” option at the bottom of the Exam Page. This step is critical for your answers to be recorded by the portal.
Submission and Confirmation of Submission
Once you have submitted the examination, a confirmation page is displayed.
The confirmation page also displays the time you started the examination, and the time your examination was submitted.
In addition to the confirmation screen, you will receive a confirmation email, that confirms your answers have been submitted.
Note: If you have not received this confirmation email after submitting the examination, contact FTRA with your details immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: My internet connection dropped while I was in the examination, will my answers still be submitted and accepted?
A: No. To ensure that you are able to attempt and finish the examination properly, you need to have a stable internet connection.
Q: I started the examination but mistakenly clicked the “Exit Exam” button, will I be able to continue with the examination?
A: No. Once you exit the examination while it is in progress, you cannot carry on with the current examination. Your answers may also not be recorded by the portal backend if you have clicked “Exit Exam” or have exited the exam otherwise.
Q: My device froze while I was doing the examination and I had to restart my device, will I be able to continue with the examination?
A: No. You need to ensure that the device you are using to access and attempt the examination are stable and sufficient for this purpose.
Q: My device suddenly started installing and configuring updates which interrupted the examination, will I be able to continue with the examination?
A: No. You need to ensure that your device is updated with the latest firmware before attempting the examination.
Q: My friend has not received their login details, can they log in from my account and attempt the examination?
A: No. If eligible, your friend will need their own login and access details. They should contact FTRA to obtain their details if they do not have them already.
Q: I have received my access details for the portal but my eligible friend has not, what could have gone wrong?
A: Please ensure that you have checked all the inboxes of your emails, such as “Spam”, “Junk”, “Social”, “Promotions”, etc. If they or you can still not locate your login details, contact FTRA.