The FTRA secretariat is headed by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of FTRA. The CEO is the highest-ranking executive of the Authority, whose primary responsibilities include making major executive decisions, managing the overall operations and resources of the Authority, acting as the main point of communication between the Board of Directors (the Board) and MEHA. FTRA employs a total of 11 full time staff members.
- Register qualified teachers to teach in Kindergarten, Primary and Secondary schools in Fiji.
- Register qualified educators in training institution to intending kindergarten, primary and secondary teachers.
- Register qualified teacher administrators within the MEHA
- Register Training Institutions which intend to allow Teacher Trainee Practice in schools.
- Register Researchers, Volunteers and Volunteer agencies that intent to partner with schools with the view of improving education sector deliverables.
- Work with Employing Authorities, Training Institutions and other relevant social partners regarding the standards of courses offered to ensure that these are acceptable for the purpose of Teacher Registration.
- Conduct Teacher Induction Programmes for new teachers in Fiji.
- Conduct Orientation Programmes for all new first year students in a teacher training Programme at all Teacher Training Institutions in Fiji.
- What qualifications, training and expertise they should possess.
- What attributes are essential in our teachers.
- What knowledge, skills and abilities they should display.
- What code of ethics/conduct they should adhere to.
- What professional upgrade and development teachers should undergo.
These determinants form the basis of registration and renewal criteria and processes. Promotion of the Teaching Profession is also a mandate bestowed on FTRA through FTRA Act 2008. While the elements of the regulatory functions do contribute towards development of a vibrant teaching workforce and increased professionalism of teachers, it is vital that FTRA focuses on promotion and development of the Teaching Profession.
Fiji Teachers Registration Authority Board
Fiji Teachers Registration Authority Team
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Sangeeta Singh is the Head of the Fiji Teachers Registration Authority and was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in December 2019. Mrs Singh holds a Masters in Governance, Master of Business Administration (MBA), Postgraduate Diploma for General Managers, Postgraduate Certificate in Human Resources Management from the University of the South Pacific and a Diploma in General Insurance & Finance from the Australia & New Zealand Institute of Insurance & Finance.
She is also a Senior Associate-ship and a registered CIP (Certified Insurance Professional) of the Australia & New Zealand Institute of Insurance & Finance, ANZIIF.
Prior to joining FTRA, Mrs Singh worked at the University of the South Pacific, reputable Privately Owned Companies (both Local & International), Non-Governmental Organization and Public Enterprise. The FTRA CEO has over 20 years of various management level work experience. She portrays Strong Leadership qualities and highly believes in Empowering Others.
An advocate for women empowerment while she also believes that with professionalism, self- motivation and commitment we can strive to exceed expectations with service that is second-to-none.
Pranil Davendra Deo
Manager Professional Standards
Mr Deo Coordinates the Induction & Orientation Programmes of FTRA & is also the Teacher Registration Support to the General Manager of FTRA. Pranil holds Post Graduate Diploma in Education Leadership from UNI Fiji, Post Graduate Diploma in Psychology & Bachelor of Education from USP; School Teacher for 12 years & has been with FTRA for the past 6 years.
Mr Lal heads the Finance Division of FTRA and he is also the Human Resources and Properties Support to the General Manager of FTRA. Avinesh holds Degree in Accounting/Financial Management & Economics from USP. He is also a member of the Fiji Institute of Accountants; has been in the Accounting field for the past 18 years.
Laisa Maria Ligawalawala
Senior Admin Officer
Admin Officer / HR Assistant
Sylvia Shareel Kumar
Admin Support / Receptionist
Asst. Admin / Cashier
Registry Support / Driver